***Applications Now Open for the 2018 McBride Africa Internship***
Old Snowmass, CO: Entering its sixth year of sponsoring Roaring Fork Valley student
travel to the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy (www.lewa.org
) in northeastern Kenya, the
McBride Africa Internship is now accepting applicants for the 2018 internship.
Building on the success of the previous five years the Internship will accept 8 students
to travel to Kenya, departing July 14th and returning July 28, 2018. Approximately
2/3rds of the cost of the internship is underwritten by John and Laurie McBride of Old
Katia Galambos in 2016 wrote, “It was the best two weeks of my life. I learned more than I thought possible, and about a range of subject spanning from human nature to harvester ants. And yet, even though I loved it, upon leaving I felt more full than sad because Lewa really did change my perspective on the world and game me dreams that made me a
Carl Wright in 2015 shared, “I learned more from you two in the two weeks the we were together then I could have in 6 months of school. I get asked about our travels on a daily basis and I always find myself at a lack for words trying to describe the trip.”
The Internship is:
▪ Open to all high school age students in the Roaring Fork Valley
▪ Date: July 14, 28, 2018
▪ The cost is $2,000—which includes airfare
▪ Students camp out in the heart of the conservancy and daily walk, drive and explore Lewa, working closely with Lewa staff and their Massai guides.
▪ Curriculum is based on recording close personal observations, daily group discussions and interviews with wildlife experts.
▪ Application deadline: January 5, 2018
▪ Group Leaders: Aaron & Molly Garland
▪ The McBride Africa Internship is a partner with the Aspen Community Foundation
The McBride Africa Internship is the inspiration of John and Laurie McBride of Old
Snowmass. For over forty years the McBrides have been visiting a vast stretch of
wilderness in northeast Kenya that was part of the Craig cattle ranch. Today it is the
Lewa Wildlife Conservancy, an organization that is now considered a world leader in
sustainable conservation and anti-poaching strategies. Lewa has revolutionized the
way conservation organizations collaborate with local communities to build a broad
coalition that benefits from thriving wildlife populations.